Join us for a New Year’s Day Dip in Clevedon Marine Lake on 1st January 2024. We’ll be taking the plunge at 11am as part of this annual tradition. It’s the perfect way to wake yourself up after the excesses of the festive period and a great way to help sick, injured, and orphaned wildlife.
We’ve got a couple of options available:
– Sign up for free and raise sponsorship money. No minimum amount, just do your best!
– or pay a £5 registration fee to take part
Either way, registration is essential so we can keep you updated about the event. Choose your option at the end of the page after reading our event guide and tips. If you choose to fundraise, we’ll email you a sponsorship form and a link for creating your JustGiving page.
Cold water swimming is a refreshing activity, and it’s very important that you’re prepared for it. These are our top tips for your plunge, and information about parking and facilities.
– Car parking is available at Salthouse Fields pay and display card park, BS21 7TU. There are six disabled parking bays. There is also limited free street parking around Clevedon. Please don’t park in the pub car park!
– There is hard standing all around the lake, with a ramp for wheelchair access. You are welcome to bring spectators but no dogs, please.
– You’ll enter the shallow end gradually via some steps. Please do not jump or dive in for everyone’s safety. The water at this end is shallow enough to stand in.
– Try not to bring valuables with you as there is no storage for bags. We’ll have people there observing and taking photos, and you’re welcome to leave bags by our table, but we cannot take any responsibility for damages or losses.
– Wear aqua shoes or a pair old trainers, absolutely no barefoot swimming please!
– You’re welcome to wear fancy dress but keep it sensible so you’re not weighed down by your outfit when it gets wet. Wearing a hat while swimming is highly recommended to keep some of your heat in.
– Pack a bag with a full change of clothes and shoes, lots of layers. Top tip: if you’ve got space, include a hot water bottle so they’re nice and warm.
– There are no changing facilities, so make sure you bring a towel or a dry robe
– Bring a flask with a hot drink. We’ll supply the post-swim cakes.
– There will be lots of other people taking part; it’s not just the Secret World crew! Please look for us when you arrive so we can sign you in.
– For more tips from the experts, visit the Clevedon Marine Lake website.
The lake is run by a small charity called Marlens. Please donate £2 on the day (there are collection pots dotted around) or pay via the Marine Lake website. These donations go towards the running and upkeep of the lake so it can be enjoyed by everyone.